Vapeatron NewsVapeatron E-Cigarette ForumNew User FAQModel GuideE-Liquid InformationSuppliers and Retailers
 
Go Back   E-Cigarette Forums > Vapeatron Community > New User Introductions and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
socalsmoker
Member
socalsmoker's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 84
These are some of the info from this forum:
  • Atomizers and cartomizers can both burn out
  • Atomizers are more expensive but may last longer than a cartomizer.
  • Atomizers have better vapor and flavor than cartomizers.
  • Cartomizers are alot less expensive.
What are the physical/electronic differences between them?
socalsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Hachiroku
Home of Vaper Research
Hachiroku's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leftern Mass
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsmoker View Post
These are some of the info from this forum:
  • Atomizers and cartomizers can both burn out
  • Atomizers are more expensive but may last longer than a cartomizer.
  • Atomizers have better vapor and flavor than cartomizers.
  • Cartomizers are alot less expensive.
What are the physical/electronic differences between them?
An atomizer is a discrete unit consisting of a heater. You either drip juice onto the mesh element or use a separate cartridge that contains vape juice.

A cartomizer is one piece, consisting of a heating element surround by a similar batting material as found in a cartridge. You can get cartridges or cartomizers filed or unfilled, and can refill either when they run out.

Both can burn out, but since I am the resident expert in burning out atomizer, I use cartomizers, as they last me longer.

They would probably last someone else a lifetime...
__________________
Do you mind if I STEAM?

Can't tell the players without a scorecard!
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Rocketman
New Title of Lord Arse :)
Rocketman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,070
socal, go to any site that sells both for photos.
Atomizer takes cartridge, cartridge gets refilled, cheap and disposable.
Cartomizer is both parts in one. Disposable also. Holds more liquid at each refilling than standard size cart.
photos at post number 78 of this thread:
http://www.vapeatron.com/easily-refi...er-2052-page4/

$2 or less for a carto that lasts several days,
$7 for an atty that lasts for weeks.
Sometimes.


Rocky

and both responses two minutes apart
__________________
A good e-juice, fresh carto, and 3.7 volts from a REALLY BIG battery works for me.

Nic Juice, Pop Tarts and NATO Ammo, that's where my money's at
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Same Sheet, Different Day
The Shutdown was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by Rocketman; 07-16-2010 at 09:54 PM..
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Hachiroku
Home of Vaper Research
Hachiroku's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leftern Mass
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

$2 or less for a carto that lasts several days,
$7 for an atty that lasts for weeks.
Sometimes.

If only...

I'm still burning up attys in a matter of a day or two!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Rocky

and both responses two minutes apart
__________________
Do you mind if I STEAM?

Can't tell the players without a scorecard!
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
socalsmoker
Member
socalsmoker's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 84
So what I'm guessing is that the heating element is a very fine wire that eventually breaks due to the repetative heat cycles? Like the one's in those jet style lighters that break the same way?
socalsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
quasimod
Gangsta Chimp
quasimod's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Joplin, MO - USA
Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku View Post
[...] I'm still burning up attys in a matter of a day or two!
I'm new around here, but not new to HV. I don't want to come off as some know-it-all-noob, but here goes:

IF you're willing to try an experiment, I can tell you how I finally(!) learned to keep my 510 attys alive for a couple of weeks at 6V. Fair warning: You are NOT going to like this at first. This goes over like a lead fart everywhere I've mentioned it, but it really does work (for me).

1) Drip. Seriously. The next step requires it.

2) Tailpipe. Just wrap your lips around that bare-assed metal atomizer and suck.

3) Pay attention to how hot it gets, and how that relates to what you are doing. You will not be able to get the atty uber-hot, because it will burn your lips. Your lips are WAY more sensitive than your fingertips, and they will register temperature changes before the vape starts tasting horrific. That's the whole point of this exercise: avoiding that taste. That nasty burnt taste is the flavor of your atomizer being murdered. Just tap the button on and off in 1/2 second or so bursts while you're taking a hit, and adjust the "on" time as necessary to keep the atty cool enough that it isn't uncomfortable on your lips, but hot enough that you're still getting a good vape. Direct-inhaling works well with this technique, because it cools the atty down quickly and you can still get retarded amounts of vapor, throat-hit, and nicotine. During a big direct-inhale, I'll tap the button and release it like 8 or 10 times.

If you're willing to do this, I bet your next atty will last 4 or 5 days, and the one after that will last even longer.

Last edited by quasimod; 07-17-2010 at 05:24 AM..
quasimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Hachiroku
Home of Vaper Research
Hachiroku's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leftern Mass
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimod View Post
I'm new around here, but not new to HV. I don't want to come off as some know-it-all-noob, but here goes:

IF you're willing to try an experiment, I can tell you how I finally(!) learned to keep my 510 attys alive for a couple of weeks at 6V. Fair warning: You are NOT going to like this at first. This goes over like a lead fart everywhere I've mentioned it, but it really does work (for me).

1) Drip. Seriously. The next step requires it.

2) Tailpipe. Just wrap your lips around that bare-assed metal atomizer and suck.

3) Pay attention to how hot it gets, and how that relates to what you are doing. You will not be able to get the atty uber-hot, because it will burn your lips. Your lips are WAY more sensitive than your fingertips, and they will register temperature changes before the vape starts tasting horrific. That's the whole point of this exercise: avoiding that taste. That nasty burnt taste is the flavor of your atomizer being murdered. Just tap the button on and off in 1/2 second or so bursts while you're taking a hit, and adjust the "on" time as necessary to keep the atty cool enough that it isn't uncomfortable on your lips, but hot enough that you're still getting a good vape. Direct-inhaling works well with this technique, because it cools the atty down quickly and you can still get retarded amounts of vapor, throat-hit, and nicotine. During a big direct-inhale, I'll tap the button and release it like 8 or 10 times.

If you're willing to do this, I bet your next atty will last 4 or 5 days, and the one after that will last even longer.
I'll try anything.

I don't know if you've looked around, but I have what I call the Atty Smasher, a $1 flashlight, an $8 TI power module, set for 4.2V, and that's what's frying the attys. The current is ~2A, so we're talking ~9 watts. If you're vaping at 6V with a standard 2.1 ohm atty, that's....<runs for calculator...> 2.85A, for SEVENTEEN WATTS?!?!?! And you can make an atty last more than a WEEK?!?!?! Wow. I gotta try this...
__________________
Do you mind if I STEAM?

Can't tell the players without a scorecard!
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
quasimod
Gangsta Chimp
quasimod's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Joplin, MO - USA
Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku View Post
[...] I don't know if you've looked around [...]
Not a whole lot, but some... I spend too much time online as it is. I may have to quit my job and devote my life to vaping forums.
quasimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Hachiroku
Home of Vaper Research
Hachiroku's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leftern Mass
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimod View Post
Not a whole lot, but some... I spend too much time online as it is. I may have to quit my job and devote my life to vaping forums.
Ya. Some guys want me to start playing WoW. Yeah...I need MORE uptime!!!
__________________
Do you mind if I STEAM?

Can't tell the players without a scorecard!
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
socalsmoker
Member
socalsmoker's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 84
Anyone try ZFM carts?

Home - ZFM Vapors
socalsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
quasimod
Gangsta Chimp
quasimod's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Joplin, MO - USA
Posts: 1,353
No, but I've read a lot of positive things about them back when he first started making them with tubes of clear liquid silicone (assuming it's the same guy, Scottyballs, right?). By then I was completely disgusted with cart mods that worked for everyone except me (apparently I'm a mod-tard), and had learned how easy and hassle-free dripping can be. I haven't filled a cart since last year. They might be better than a cure for cancer, but I've wasted enough time and juice on cart mods for awhile... Maybe I'll check them out in a couple of months, if I ever stop pouting about it. XD
quasimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
socalsmoker
Member
socalsmoker's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 84
I just got some Boge cartomizers hard and soft tip and a drip tip. I don't like them because they leak out the side of the connection, are messy to fill, and don't produce as much vapor. The cartomizer has a hole straight to the heating element so when dripping it floods the heating element. Plus I can't wait to have it soak into the filter element so I end up getting some of the juice in my mouth. The atomizer and cartridge produce a better vapor and they don't leak. If I could find a larger cart I can drip into or a drip tip that'll fit into a cartridge would be the best.

Last edited by socalsmoker; 07-22-2010 at 08:33 PM..
socalsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
quasimod
Gangsta Chimp
quasimod's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Joplin, MO - USA
Posts: 1,353
Drip tips for cartomizers.

There are others, that's just the first one I found.
quasimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
Hachiroku
Home of Vaper Research
Hachiroku's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leftern Mass
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsmoker View Post
I just got some Boge cartomizers hard and soft tip and a drip tip. I don't like them because they leak out the side of the connection, are messy to fill, and don't produce as much vapor. The cartomizer has a hole straight to the heating element so when dripping it floods the heating element. Plus I can't wait to have it soak into the filter element so I end up getting some of the juice in my mouth. The atomizer and cartridge produce a better vapor and they don't leak. If I could find a larger cart I can drip into or a drip tip that'll fit into a cartridge would be the best.
You have to fill them from the side, and don't fill them too much! It's easy to flood a cartomizer, and it will produce weak vapor for a while until you get it to the right level, then it's Katie bar the door! When the right amount of juice is in there I can get tons of vapor from my car pass thru. I even use them on the Atty Smasker for a week or two, then rather than burn out they just gum up and make hardly any vapor. The good thing is, they are $1.45 as opposed to $9 for a real 510. The Boges worked very good for me, but the SLBs did not.

The only time I experienced what you described is when I was refilling a cart in the car, and some fool ran a red light and in the process of slamming on the brakes I squeezed the bottle REALLY HARD and flooded the cart and the passthru. A few hits straightened things out.
__________________
Do you mind if I STEAM?

Can't tell the players without a scorecard!
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #15
vinsanity8710
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Weedville PA
Posts: 4
go to ecigsupply.com or ikenvape.com and get a High Voltage atomizer they will last alot longer than a regular atomizer at 6 volts
vinsanity8710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
socalsmoker
Member
socalsmoker's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 84
Well I started using the Boge soft tip cartomizers again. I learned that if you drip into a drip tip they tend to go right down the middle and start to leak at the battery connection. I had this syringe but with a curved plastic tapered needle called monoject 412. It's a safer way to fill cartomizers without using a metal needle to prick yourself or others with. It saturates the wicking element fine if you do the north south east west method. Just don't overfill the cartomizer as it may leak at the battery connection if you do. You just want to saturate the element. Vapor production is much better especially with my 5v pass through.
Monoject 412 curved tip syringe with measure line - eBay (item 120600886524 end time Aug-25-10 08:33:11 PDT)
socalsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
40bikes
Senior Member
40bikes's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West Texas/New Mexico
Posts: 3,348
Socal, if your up to ordering from china e-liquid.cn has some XL gen2 cartos that fit 808 or 510 applications coming out in August . These don't have normal polyfil filler. they are filled by a syringe with a flexible tip I hear good things about these on another forum(ECF).
I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and make sure they are delivering and get some.
There are some real deals on this site if you want to risk ordering from china: I think those cartomisers are $26 for 30 of them, an 808 eGo starter kit is around the same price.
40bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
Rocketman
New Title of Lord Arse :)
Rocketman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,070
bikes,
any resistance info on those?
__________________
A good e-juice, fresh carto, and 3.7 volts from a REALLY BIG battery works for me.

Nic Juice, Pop Tarts and NATO Ammo, that's where my money's at
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Same Sheet, Different Day
The Shutdown was fun while it lasted.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
40bikes
Senior Member
40bikes's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West Texas/New Mexico
Posts: 3,348
2.8-3.0 ohms is listed, apparently made by Royal not SLB, Joye or Boge DK
These are like v2.1 as the early v2s didn't wick well for heavy hitters.

The "other"forum had about 70 pgs. on cartos and the last 30 pgs. were about these cartos. I was waiting on the reviews on this upgrade release. The cartos are 9.2mmx50mm.
40bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
Hachiroku
Home of Vaper Research
Hachiroku's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leftern Mass
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsmoker View Post
Well I started using the Boge soft tip cartomizers again. I learned that if you drip into a drip tip they tend to go right down the middle and start to leak at the battery connection. I had this syringe but with a curved plastic tapered needle called monoject 412. [/url]
Believe it or not, even THOSE are illegal in Mass! You have to have a prescription from a dentist to get one! They used to just give them away, but after the law changed they can't!
__________________
Do you mind if I STEAM?

Can't tell the players without a scorecard!
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #21
ChRiS
Hybrid Creations E-Liquid
ChRiS's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku View Post
Believe it or not, even THOSE are illegal in Mass! You have to have a prescription from a dentist to get one! They used to just give them away, but after the law changed they can't!
illegal?! really?! it only takes one idiot to ruin it for everone else. (i'm just wondering how he did it haha)
__________________
FACEBOOK.COM/HYBRIDCREATIONS
ChRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #22
40bikes
Senior Member
40bikes's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West Texas/New Mexico
Posts: 3,348
Clouds of vapor.com should have the latest rendition of the cartos in this weekend. I yacked about these earlier. (e-liquid.cn) $8.99 a 5pk.
Hachi, still on my first lr cartomiser from CoV, over a month and it hasn't gummed up yet. I've only used it at 3.7v and have used it on 50/50 pg/vg dekang juices.
Also for the terminally cheap: I was going to toss a couple lowflow cartos and decided to try to bring them back as drippers. Gently kicked(picked) the stuffing out of them with some long tweezers,careful to leave the little woven sock and restored a V4L 808D-1 and a 4081 I got from goodprophets. Rinse, dryburn multiple times and now I have a coupl of drippers to use during Monday Night football.
40bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
quasimod
Gangsta Chimp
quasimod's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Joplin, MO - USA
Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiS View Post
[...] it only takes one idiot to ruin it for everone else. (i'm just wondering how he did it haha)
There was a tragic lemon-juice-in-the-eye incident back in 1997. That really stings. Clearly, those things are a menace to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40bikes View Post
Clouds of vapor.com should have the latest rendition of the cartos in this weekend. I yacked about these earlier.
[...]
I looked, but couldn't find where you yacked. Are these the ones without any filler material? I've been meaning to try one of those.

Last edited by quasimod; 08-20-2010 at 10:14 AM..
quasimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #24
Hachiroku
Home of Vaper Research
Hachiroku's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leftern Mass
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiS View Post
illegal?! really?! it only takes one idiot to ruin it for everone else. (i'm just wondering how he did it haha)
Shoot. He knows me...

Heroin, my friend. The state wants control of all hypodermics.
__________________
Do you mind if I STEAM?

Can't tell the players without a scorecard!
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #25
ChRiS
Hybrid Creations E-Liquid
ChRiS's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,258
lol Quas!! even the plastic tipped ones like so-cal described? thats crazy man, i saw somthing on tv where some states actually give them out to junkies for free and even give them a place to shoot up!! i guess if people are gonna "use" the county's or state wants to lower the risk of infections. my kid got sick a month or two ago and when they gave us her meds and anti's they gave us 2 or 3 plastic tipped ones. (they wer'ent like the monojet dentist ones but they work good for measured mixes from glassware to plastic bottle.
__________________
FACEBOOK.COM/HYBRIDCREATIONS
ChRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Instructional Smoore M401 Battery Difference VapeAtron E-Smoking Videos 14 10-31-2011 03:07 AM
Cartomizers..Am I doing this right? VapingVictoria E-Cigarette General Discussion 70 10-31-2010 04:25 PM
510 cartomizers? bigslick83 E-Cigarette General Discussion 10 06-24-2010 12:35 PM
Has anyone tried 510 cartomizers yet? Hachiroku E-Cigarette General Discussion 14 05-12-2010 11:21 AM
Cartomizers???? PUFFDADDY E-Cigarette General Discussion 4 11-11-2009 12:17 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3